Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Babylock Tech

The following small samples were also created for  the Babylock Tech Convention in St. Louis, MO.  Dealers from near and far come to see the new books, gadgets, sewing machines, whatever that is being introduced to the market for the first time.  My book on machine needle felting is being presented to the dealers for the first time. It is called, "The ART of Machine Needle Felting and it is for sale on my website.  Scroll down the left-hand column of this blog and you will see a link to my website where it can be purchased directly from me.  For more information about Babylock Tech, see the previous post entitled, "Oleander Painting". 

The first piece is created from wool  Peace Fleece  then machine needle felted with the Babylock Embellisher onto a flannel backing.  It is left with raw edges so it can be examined and handled by the attendees of the Convention.  I actually like the way the raw edges look and will try them again on another, more "serious" wool painting.


Autumn Tree

The next piece was created using wool, alpaca, silk, bamboo and nylon rovings machine needle felted with a Babylock Embellisher.  This one reminds me of  a painting from the Hudson River School era of paintings and I would like to try a larger version at some point in the future. The fibers really pop on larger felted paintings.  This one was trimmed around the edges but left unmounted so it could be examined and handled.  People need to see how these are made because I've noticed that they have no idea what you are talking about if you try to explain it with words. 

Morning Mist
This next piece was one that I hand needle felted first, using Pat Spark's book entitled, "Watercolor Felt Workbook".  I machine felted it and then wet felted it to create a fine web of wool on the surface.

Pansy
The last piece I sent to Babylock Tech was a sample from my book, The ART of Machine Needle Felting" so that it could be handled and examined as well.  It is called, Santa Fe in the book and I wanted to provide at least one item that was exactly as it is portrayed in the book.  I don't like to do the same thing twice but this time I did for the sake of those who were thinking of trying these new techniques.

Santa Fe Medallion
I sent all of these along with the Oleander Painting, which was also unfinished but much larger than these small samples.  It was also created by machine needle felting Peace Fleece, wool, alpaca and silk fibers on a pink flannel background.  Here is what it looks like unfinished. 

Oleander Painting Unfinished


My Babylock Dealer, Ron Spaulding and his wife, Barb are in St. Louis and I'll be anxious to hear from them how their weekend at Babylock Tech went and how well the book was received when it was presented. 

No comments:

Post a Comment