Friday, February 25, 2011

Provincetown Finished

I finally put the borders on the Provincetown felted textile.  I machine embroidered the inner border using a Babylock Symphony and I like the way it turned out to embellish the borders a bit.  I used an unholstery fabric on the outside border and machine quilted it lightly.  I hesitate to put much machine quilting on it because that defeats the Impressionistic look of the wool fibers but it does need to be stabilized with the backing so I did put some in. 



Up next...How to use a drum carder to mix and prepare fibers for machine felting

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Provincetown Wool Painting Part 2

I've been working on this piece, Provincetown, and finding it is a joy working on something this size.  The wool fibers seem to fit better and I can get much more interesting detail with it than I can working with a smaller format. 
The next step was to begin laying down the true colors of the sections and developing them.  In this photo you can see that I started laying down the new colors of wool on the house.  I used multicolor merino wool on the sides and front of the house that I had purchased from Try Our Designs at the following link: http://www.tryourdesigns.com/multi_color_merino_roving.htm
Then I used Waldorf Wool that I dyed myself as sheer overlays on the roof. 


I felt that the fence was too yellow so I used one of my dog brushes and pulled off all the golden yellow and replaced it with a very pale yellow.  This next photo shows the development of the trees with Peace Fleece and the development of the sky and shadows.  I rolled very thin strips of wool between my hands to create the slats in the fence.  I used Peace Fleece to develop the trees and all foliage (link: http://www.peacefleece.com/felting.htm)  There is nothing in the world like Peace Fleece for making realistic trees just appear quickly and easily.  I used very thin layers of this wool (in all colors shown) laid down and I got instant trees - amazing!!!  I don't think they even know this is possible.  Hmmm - I better send them a picture of this. 


At this point I needed to focus on the spruce tree at the side of the house and foreground.  I also needed to see how much of the picture I was going to trim away when finished so I cut some pieces of poster board and pinned them around the edges to see what a clean edge would look like.  You can see the cardboard in the next photo. 


This next photo shows the leaf litter on the lawn and the addition of the dahlia bushes on the side of the house.  The flower heads are created with my own hand-dyed wool nepps felted down.  The spruce tree and the leaf litter are created with Peace Fleece.  The slats in the windows are very thin lines of wool laid down and felted with only two needles in the head in a straight line. 


After an exciting wet felting session (see previous tutorials) I blocked the piece by pinning it onto a board so that all the straight lines in the house would remain straight.  Then I pressed it with a steam iron and mounted it onto a backing of heavy fusible interfacing.  It is now ready to have borders, batting and backing added.  I will do some machine quilting around the edges and borders but that is all so that the soft feathered edges remain soft. 



Stay tuned for the finished borders.